Tofu Milanese with Salsa Verde
A meat-free take on the traditional scallopine Milanese, made all the more delicious with a basil salsa.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
For the main dish:
- 600 g new potatoes
- 400 g tofu, well-pressed and cut into 2cm thick slices
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 50 g Parmesan cheese or vegan equivalent
- 50 g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g watercress
For the Salsa Verde:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50 g fresh basil
- 2 tbsp capers
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g black olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Steam the potatoes for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, blend the basil, capers, olive oil and garlic with the lemon juice. Transfer to a serving bowl, add the olives and season with salt and black pepper.
- Set aside two small plates: spread the flour on the first and mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan on the second one. In a bowl, beat the egg with the mustard and a teaspoon of water. Take a tofu slice and dry it in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture and immediately coat with the breadcrumb mixture. If you use one hand for dipping and the other for both coatings it'll be a lot less messy! Carry on until all the tofu is covered.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the tofu. Fry for about 5 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Halve the potatoes or break them with a fork and mix with the watercress and little olive oil in a bowl or pan. Slice the tofu and assemble on plates with the potatoes and watercress, adding a generous spoonful of salsa. Serve immediately with a lemon wedge.